Sunday, June 23, 2013

Gym Manners

I work out a rather electic gym in a location that is in the middle of not so great spots if town and better spots. As a result, I see a lot of entertaining things at the gym. The cardio machines are on the second floor looking over the weight area and I often find myself zoned out while running watching everyone below. While this post is about gym manners, I want to start with 5 things that have happened at my gym since I joined less than a year ago.  There are many more, but these are the top 5.

1. While in the locker room I complimented a lady on her cute robe. While it was acceptable to wear it in the locker room, she decided to walk out and carry on a conversation with the staff in her robe before leaving.
2. A lady will consistently work out with out a bra- sports bra or regular bra-and a white tank. She is well endowed and even I find myself staring.
3. Another lady takes pictures of herself hanging seductively on the Smith Machine
4. In the restroom, a lady in the stall next to me was having a full on conversation on her cell phone...on speaker!
5. Another lady will get on the elliptical and the sounds she makes should only come from a bedroom as she works out. I sometimes can't help but laugh.

While the items above are more funny than straight out manners, the following list are items that really bother me at the gym and are down right rude.
1. Not wiping down equipment after using it! I wipe all cardio with the cleaning solution provided and bring my own towel for the weight benches. No one wants others germs!
2. Getting on a cardio machine right next to someone when there are 20 exact same machines open. If you don't know the person, give at least one piece of equipment as space. There is this guy who will get on the treadmill right next to me when we are the only 2 doing cardio at 5 a.m. This is the same guy who seems to know what days I do what workouts and confirms with me when he sees me. It sorta creeps me out! I don't pay attention to others enough to know their schedule.
3. Sitting on a weight machine when you are just talking. Let people work in.
4. Having phone conversations while doing cardio (speaker phone or not). You should be working hard enough to not be able to talk.
5. Listening to the music from your iPod or iPhone with out headphones!
6. My gym has a pool and please if yours has one as well,  wipe off the water from your suit or hair or whatever that is on the bench! I put my bag there when changing and I would rather it not get wet.
7. Couples who make out at the gym. I am ok with a little peck, but straddling your boyfriend or making the workout more sexual than it needs to be is distracting.
8. Meatheads who have 10 45 pound plates on the smith machine or anything and don't remove them when they are done. I have no problem removing a few but all of those plates are a workout in itself.
9. Having crazy loud conversations with your friends. There is a group of 5-6 at my gym who have the LOUDEST convos while on the treadmill to the point that I can hear the convos with my headphones in, music on and on the other side of the cardio area.
10. I can't think of a tenth one! Ha! What have I missed? What is your gym pet peeve??

We all have them, share!

No comments:

Post a Comment