Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Healthy Spirit, Mind and Body

For those of you familiar with the YMCA, the title of my post is also part of their mission.  I worked at the Y for a little over a year and really believe in the power of that phrase.  I also believe that one can improve all three through working out and eating right.  I have a shirt that says running is cheaper than therapy, my family tells me I get grouchy if I don't sweat for a couple of days, and I am able to concentrate more when I am consistent with my workouts. 

Another thing that comes from healthy eating and working out is confidence.  I thought all day about whether or not to write about what I am about to type because it is not directly related to fitness of the body, but it is 100% related to fitness of the spirit and the mind so here I go.

I have recently gone on two dates with a guy who I THOUGHT had potential.  Very nice, seemed to have his act together, older than me (35)-which is a big deal for those who know my dating history, and we were able to share laughs pretty easy.  Luckily, I only invested two dates in this guy before I saw a red flag.  Let me first say, that I am not bashing him, I am sure that he will make someone very happy but it is just not going to be me. Last night we were texting and I was about to go to bed. He made a joke asking if I was sleeping in my Colts pajamas and snuggling with a Manning stuffed animal.  For those who know me, that is funny and ironically, I was sleeping in a Colts tee and Under Armour Shorts.  I told him that and added that it was nothing sexy.  His response was......

"I am sure your camel is sexy."

...what....huh...wow...speechless.  My response was wow and then speechless. They say that people are on their best behavior at the beginning of a relationship and I did not consider that good behavior of a guy that had not even gotten to second base.  In a matter of minutes I told him I was not interested and removed his number from my phone.  I have not heard from him today and have not even thought about texting or reaching out to him.  If anything I have been somewhat disgusted all day.  He defended himself by saying that he had been around "corporate douchebags" all day.  That was not an excuse for me. 

So how does this relate back to fitness and health and confidence?  Well there was a time when I would have accepted that behavior and gone on to date this guy for far too long.  But now, I have confidence and a sense of self worth that says I would rather be alone than with a guy who may one day change the words to Kenny Chesney's "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" to.....

I attribute my dedication to being strong and healthy in spirit, mind and body to my response. 

I know some people have had trouble posting comments on here so facebook me if you can't but I would love to know of moments when you realized that being healthy had given you a new found confidence! And, what do you think I should say if he texts me again?

and...hey...get excited...tomorrow is "hump" day!  hahahahah  See, I do have a sense of humor, I Just want to be respected and treated like a lady :) and thinking about a camel reminded me of that one commercial (maybe for an insurance company)?

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha!! Good for you, but I might have responded...What does that even mean?

    ReplyDelete