Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Photo shopping

Today there was a story that broke about Target and the photo shopping that is done on pretty much EVERY model you see in any sort of print campaign. Even if they have what is considered a great body by media standards (which are not my standards), I can guarantee that something has been "perfected": a mole, a zit, a slight scar that she has from falling as a kid..every fine line can be erased.
What upsets me about the target ad is that it was geared towards teenage girls. How many girls remember being a teenager? No matter what, at one time you felt too tall, too short, too fat, too skinny, braces, no braces, zits,  no zits, boobs,  flat as a board- no matter what there was always something that girls feel insecure about. I was insecure about everything, my butt, my hips, my legs...all things that as a 35 year old woman I love, but as a teen?!?
The Target image added a new concern that young girls have to worry about now... Thigh gap.. Huh!?! That is almost impossible to achieve in a healthy manner. Look at the picture below. The thigh gap is there...but it looks like she lost part of her lady parts to get it. I don't date much and clearly don't know what guys like, but I am pretty sure that missing lady parts isn't attractive to most guys and if that's what it takes to get a thigh gap... My guess is your boyfriend will tell you to eat a cheeseburger..and fries..and cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.
As a society we must address these images! They are just as unhealthy as being obese- and maybe more!! Eating disorders are rampant yet super skinny girls don't seem to be as stigmatized as bigger girls.  How often do we say to girls that they are so thin or so tiny or consider losing weight to be a compliment? I say from here on out I am celebrating those who look healthy and fit.. At any size. Strong is the new skinny! 


No comments:

Post a Comment