Monday, March 24, 2014

Listen!

I have to admit I really wanted to title this Listen First, but wasn't sure if the YMCA has copyrighted the phrase. I worked for the Y a couple of years back and my favorite thing about working there was the professional development and training they did for all of their employees. One training was called Listen First and it dealt with customer service and really hearing what people are saying to you. Our HR person (who is hilarious) would say "so what I hear you saying is...". I still use that phrase today- you would be surprised how many times people say "no, what I mean is..." Or "well, kinda..."

By now you are probably wondering what in the heck does this post have to do with exercise. Listening to your body is so important when it comes to a healthy lifestyle. I can tell when I need to eat better, drink more water, get a massage..and I listen to my body.  Now, I can also tell when I need a rest day from the gym but rarely do I listen.

Me: Body, what I hear you saying is that I should only run 4 miles instead of 6-7.
Body: No, I am saying sit on the couch and get a good nights rest.

I never really hear what my body is saying unless I am sick to the point where a dr. Has to tell me to stay home. I literally need a dr. To tell me to stay home. Today though I decided to listen. I am exhausted.  The past week I have woken up with a sore lower back and have had trouble sleeping at night- all signs of overtraining. It hit me that I am training harder than I ever did in my 20's but I am still hitting the gym 6-7 days a week. I am 35 now and realize I need to listen to my body or I may not be working out at all by the age of 50.  So my goal is to work out 5-6 days a week and I encourage you all to do the same- perhaps even aiming for 3-4 days a week. I am not sure my body would like cutting back that drastically,  but maybe I will try it one day.. :)

While healthy living is important and exercise is a key component - I would be at the gym for 75-150 minutes at a time for 6-7 days a week. I think listening to my body and dialing back is a key to my own healthy living.

No comments:

Post a Comment