Sunday, May 26, 2013

Indy 500

Today was a big day for my hometown as the 97th running of the Indianapolis 500 happened. Tony Kanan won and I think that he is a deserving winner.
For the first time ever, I went to the gym before going to the race. Normally I would skip the gym but I went and got in a quick 5 miles on the treadmill and some upper body strength training. Since I know of a few people who are following my posts, I will share some of my thoughts on strength training.
First, I am not a bodybuilder or fitness model. I drink diet coke, alcohol, and juice- all in moderation. I also don't break down my strength training into all different days. I strength train 4 days a week. 2 upper body days and 2 lower body days. I do 30-40 minutes of cardio on those days and my strength training lasts anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. I almost always do some core exercises (not sit-ups) at the end. I am just a normal girl trying to stay healthy while still having a life and have felt better since starting strength training.
Second, lift heavy! I promise you will not get bulky. I do not take drugs and lift heavy and you all can see what I look like. 80% of my workouts are in the free weight area (where the guys are). Sometimes it helps to use a machine but if I feel comfortable with an exercise, I use the free weights- even if I am lifting not so heavy. When I say heavy, I use anywhere from 10-25 pound dumbbells depending on the exercise for upper body and between 40-90 pound for lower body. With the smith machine I am over 100 pounds squatting. I also don't use a trainer and get most of my exercise ideas by reading Oxygen, Muscle and Fitness Hers and googling different things online.
Third, I ALWAYS consume a protein shake immediately after working out. I keep the powder in my car and shake it up with water to drink on my way home. I find that when I do this, I don't come home and have 4 tablespoons of peanut butter and then a full meal.

Finally, I have received many positive comments and feedback for doing this! If you have a question, or a topic you want me to talk about please let me know in the comments. I want this to be a dialogue! If it isn't, I may not post as much bc I think eventually I will share all I do.


2 comments:

  1. What do you drink for your protein shake? My husband has had some from GNC, but I didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaspari Nutrition. I have also tried GNC and did not like it. I have found that Gaspari is pretty good and can be pretty thick so it is shake like. I think that with protein shakes you have to look around and try a bunch of different ones.

    ReplyDelete